Monday 14 December 2015

Festive Gingerbread Men Recipe


As it’s Christmas, and I love baking, I thought I’d have a go at making some Gingerbread men this year! I found a really good recipe online, tweaked it to my liking, and came up with this!

You will need:
350g Plain Flour
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2tsp Ground Ginger
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
125g Butter
175g Dark Brown Sugar
1 Medium Egg
4tbsp Golden Syrup
For the Royal Icing:
2 Egg Whites
2 Cups Icing Sugar
Food colouring (I prefer using gel as it doesn’t seem to affect the consistency of the icing)
Here’s how to make them!
1.   Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two trays with greaseproof paper and set aside
2.    Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon until combined well. Add the butter and rub through the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the brown sugar and mix further.

Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, then slowly add to the dry mix until it starts to clump together.
3.   Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
4.   Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out to a 5mm thickness onto a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out your gingerbread men shapes and place onto the baking trays, leaving enough space inbetween each one. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown, then remove from the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
TIME TO DECORATE! 
You can use whatever you want to decorate these, but I wanted to go for a more traditional piped royal icing design.
For the royal icing, I combined 2 egg whites with 2 cups of icing sugar and whipped this mixture together until smooth and glossy.
I separated the mix into different colours, and used piping bags to pipe the icing carefully onto the gingerbread men and left them to dry completely. I find icing these with royal icing makes them much easier to package up without being ruined, if you’re making these as gifts (which I am!)

I really hope you enjoyed this post, if you want to watch the video of me making these, go check out my Youtube channel, where I have a few more Christmassy-themed videos!